The computer has been passed many generations before coming up to the state of computer, laptop, desktop and notebook form. At first initial phase, Blaise Pascal gave the birth of a mechanical calculator(counting device) in 1642 AD and then in around 1830 AD, Charles’s Babbage developed “difference engine” and ” Analytical engine”. After that many evolutions happened, such as the use of vacuum tube, transistor, integrated circuits etc. This step up in technology is called generations of computer. The generation of a computer has been categorized into first, second, third, fourth and fifth generations based on the key evolutions(vacuum tube, transistor, IC) from past time to recent time.
The upcoming computers are expected to have a lot of properties that resemble intelligent of the human being. They are under development and known as fifth generation computer. The main features of fifth generation computers are as follows:
- 5th generation will use ULSI(ultra large scale integration) technology. ULSI technology will allow integrating millions of components in a single chip.
- 5th generation will use intelligent programming, knowledge based problem solving techniques, high performance multiprocessor system and improved human-machine interface.
- 5th generation computer will understand the natural language like english, japanese etc.
- there will be extensive use of parallel processing.
- These computers will be knowledge based computers. they will work according to previously acquired knowledge.
- The programmer will not have to write a program for computer. They will have to speak commands in their mother language i.e. the programmer will tell the computer what to do but not how to do.
- The input and output information will be in the form of speech and graphical images.
- Bio-chips having protein, fibers, organism as its components are expected to be used in 5th generation computers.
- They will be able to communicate like us.
- PROLOG is expected to play an important role in 5th generation computers.